July 20, 2010

A Pang Of Conscious...

Written By Spicy P @ 9:41 PM
Hey Kids,

So I'm feeling extremely guilty about a situation I currently find myself in. As a matter of fact? I feel like a complete ass!

I told you guys that I JUMPED at the opportunity to become the Office Manager for a lucrative small business. Its been great so far. As a matter of fact, I had a client today who wanted to speak to my boss to tell them the only reason they are considering hiring our company is because of me, so basically? I'm really good at it.

I'm the ONLY female and only (African American - or 'minority' to you politically correct wingers) working and managing a bunch of men (which would be heaven if I wasn't already smitten - some of these guys are H.O.T). God I LOVE power.

Anyway, there is a part time accountant....I really like this person, they annoy me a little bit but then again, who doesn't? My boss and owner of the company (a month younger than me, how ironic is that?) and he says "You are extremely 'innovative' and I know you can handle this, I want you to be the Office Manager AND Accountant for the business"....Jesus Christ...(I have only been there a few weeks).

So now, he wants to fire the accountant and promote me. The current accountant is married to a Scientist so they really don't need the money, its more for self fulfillment (or getting out of the house)

My problem is, how do I take this job from this person? How do I basically say, "I'm going to take your job, whether I want to or not!" Of course I want the promotion, I just wish it wasn't at the expense of another person. In any case, I have to find a way to subtly learn their job before they are fired.

Aye me....

Any advice or similar situations?

3 Thoughts on "A Pang Of Conscious..."

Kimmy on July 21, 2010 at 11:05 AM said...

Sigh...well the best advice is for you to remain silent! You dont have to tell this person anything. Your boss will do the dirty work and you continue to excel! :) hope that helps

St├ęphanie on July 24, 2010 at 7:59 PM said...

In France, we say that "somebody's happiness makes somebody else's sadness" (the opposite works too "somebody's sadness makes somebody else's happiness") and I think that it's cruelly right. I also think that if your boss wants to promote you (at the expense of another person, as you wrote), it's because he surely has good reasons to. For him, you are probably better for this job than the actual employee so, even if I understand what you don't want to do, you don't have to feel guilty or something like that because at the beginning, you didn't make anything to take somebody else's job. It is probably a chance for you and now only you can know if it worth it or not. Even if you deserve that promotion or the other person doesn't deserve to be fired, you should think about who you are and who you want to be, about your needs of this promotion, etc. Make the choice that won't make you regret something.

Spicy P on July 25, 2010 at 6:45 PM said...

I REALLY understand what you are saying, I have only been there a few weeks before he said this, there is no way to really say I would be better at it than her. She is a certified accountant, my degree is in Business Administration. Then again he is paying her $50 an hour and I'm sure he could maybe give me a raise and still save money. But she really wants this job, and the drama has already begun, I believe she is already aware that I am suppose to take her job and now its just ugly! She is playing dirty and now I don't feel so bad anymore. I guess my moment of kindness (weakness) just kicked me in the butt.

Post a Comment

 

Berry Obsessed Thank you for visiting my blog Come Again!